Nka’Thuto EduPropeller is a growing think tank of ideas and source of innovations from township and rural communities. These innovations address societal challenges ranging from water scarcity, corruption, sanitation, transport and financial systems to name a few. Through research methodology and innovation, Nka’Thuto creates a platform that teaches these skills. Additionally, inputs resources such as a mobile ICT lab with internet connectivity and mentoring by qualified STEM professionals to enable participants to bring these solutions to life.
At this stage, since 2017 the organisation has achieved the following:
- Created awareness of STEM careers to 10 schools and in excess of 15 000 learners.
- Taught research methodology and innovation to 1200 learners.
- Hosted innovation expos for approximately 300 learners.
- Approximately 250 technology-based solutions conceptualised.
- 51 learners taught design thinking and the business canvas model.
- 15 technology-based business cases developed from 15 solutions to societal problems which showed the most potential for commercialisation.
- A database of approximately 120 STEM professionals developed to facilitate the creation of a continuous system of innovation within the organisation.
- 10 STEM professionals trained to facilitate innovation and research methodology workshops.
- Published an article titled, “High school learners should lead Africa’s growth agenda” in Government Publications: Science & Technology.
- An article titled, youngsters tackle water challenges was published on IT-ONLINE (IT industry news daily). The link for the article is as follows: https://it-online.co.za/2019/01/25/youngsters-tackle-water-challenges/
- Gained media exposure through various interviews on tv and radio shows
In the near future Nka’Thuto aims to achieve the following:
- The program must have a foot print across South Africa by 2021.
- The program must have a footprint in the SADAC region.
- Ultimately, the program should be in more than 20 African countries.
- Acquire a corporate sponsor and official platinum partner (i.e. “The Nka’Thuto TechnoPreneurship Camp by Altron” OR “The Altron TechnoPreneurship workshop by Nka’Thuto EduPropeller”)
- Increase the impact of the organisation by increasing the number of learners exposed to the programme
- Develop solutions that show potential into prototypes that are produced to enable market entry and penetration.
To achieve this, Nka’Thuto requires the support of government, the private sector and influential individuals.
Nka’Thuto is contributing to the story of Africa as a leader in technology, innovation and economic growth. Join us in making Africa great